Governors act as a critical friend to the Headteacher and school:
- They support and challenge the Headteacher.
- They ensure that the school is accountable to the children and parents it serves, to its
local community and to those who fund and maintain it, as well as the staff it employs.
- Governors monitor the school’s performance – gathering evidence to show what
progress is being made towards strategic priorities, targets and implementation of
- They work in close partnership with the Headteacher and take advise from the
Headteacher before making decisions.
- They must also be prepared to account for the school’s overall performance and to
explain the governing body’s decision and actions to anyone who has a legitimate
- Ensure that statutory requirements are met.
- Governors must respect professional roles & management responsibilities of Head and
- Governors are not involved in detail of day-to-day management of the school – that is